I appreciate your courage to discuss your condition with me. Foremost of all, let me tell you the function of tampon. The tampons have absorbing properties as high as , if left inserted( as in your case) for a long time it can dryness in the vagina and become a breeding place for bacteria’s. A rare but life threatening bacterial infection associated with constant use of these superabsorbent tampons is the Toxic Shock-Syndrome. It can also occur due to constant use of the contraceptive sponges too. This can result in symptoms like high fever, rash, Hypotension and vomiting due to infection by the toxins produced by Strep or Staph bacteria. Though this does not seems to be like what you have seen in the pictures of genital herpes but this could be dangerous. It might be that you would have to take intra-veins antibiotic injection for the treatment. More over a word of caution for you, never use a tampon for so long always change the tampon frequently if possible switch to sanitary pads for those days when you have light flow. And as soon as possible consult a doctor for a better diagnose as any sight of infection could be serious matter not exactly like the pictures of genital herpes but it could get worse if left unnoticed. Wish you good health. Take Care.