Lesion on scalp

Hi there, I have a small lesion on the side of my head, underneath my hair. I didn't notice it until yesterday and thought it was a minor bump or bite and scratched it and as a result of it got some dry blood on my fingers. I took a picture and I'm concerned it could be a lesion of some sort.

Thanks for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com. I can understand your concern.

From the picture, I can see a dark colored lesion which could possibly be a melanoma or it could be a seborrheic kerstosis.

I would recommend that you visit a dermatologist who can get a dermatoscopy done on the lesion followed by a biopsy if necessary.

Till then you can apply neosporin cream on the lesion to take care of infection that could have been caused due to scratching.

Hope this helps, Please let me know if you have any queries.

Hello Doctor, thanks very much for the response. It is scary to hear the word melanoma but here is hoping it is something else. I will go check with a dermatologist. My follow question is: this is the only visible spot on my head or any where else so does that increase or decrease the chance of it being a skin cancer? I was under the impression there had to be multiple spots. Thanks again.

Roberto

Just one spot wouldn't increase or decrease the chances of cancer. Even one spot by itself could be a melanoma.

Hope it's a benign lesion like seborrheic keratosis and not melanoma.