Lower back pain secondary to period cramps.

I've been experiencing sharp lower back and abdominal pain for the past 24 hours. Any advice if it's serious or if it's something I hope would go away?

Hello and thankyou for approaching DoctorSpring with your query.
I have gone through your case and understand your concern.
In order for me to give you an informed opinion please can you give me more information about your condition.

1) Are you a male or female. If you are a female when was your last period and are they regular?
2) Is the abdominal pain the whole of your lower back and abdomen or is it more on one particular side?
3) Is it a continuous pain or does it come and go off and on like a sharp cramping pain?
4) Is there any nausea, vomiting associated with it?
5) Are your stools and urine normal?
6) Are you having fever?

Please reply as a follow up and I will guide you accordingly.
Thankyou

1.) I'm female and my last period was at the beginning of last month; they're not regular.
2.) The pain is only on the lower right side of both.
3.) It's gradually getting worse.
4.) No vomiting nor nausea.
5.) Cloudy urine.
6.) No fever.

Hello and thankyou for the details.
Lower abdominal pain and back pain on the right side could be either due to kidney stones trapped in the ureter.
However since it is on the right side, it can also be related to appendicitis.
The pain can also be related to complications related to pregnancy if there was unprotected sex. (if you are sexually active)
They present in a very similar manner. The presence of cloudy urine points more towards kidney stones, however it cannot be taken as a definite sign.
Hence I would advise you to get the following tests done to rule out appendicitis as that is a surgical emergency depending on its severity.
1) Pregnancy test (only if you are sexually active)
2) Ultrasound of abdomen and pelvis

Depending on the results you may require to get the further tests later
Please get the USG done without delay at the ER.

You can feel free to follow up with the test results.
I will leave this consult open so you can get back to me anytime.

I hope this has helped.
Thankyou

I went to see someone and what they told me after I gave them a urine sample is that I have a urinary tract infection.

Since you have not mentioned any pain while passing urine, it is better to keep the options open. I assume your Doctor would have found a physical examination which had signs suggestive of a urinary tract infection.
Please update me with the urine test results.

The test results came back as UTI.

Expert:  Dr. Deepu Sebin Sebastian replied 1 Day.

You can take an antibiotic like Norfloxacin 400 mg twice daily for 7 days for the UTI. The currently test is a urine routine , so you need to confirm by doing a urine culture before taking antibiotics.

The important thing is to follow up. In view of your symptoms we need to assess what causes the UTI (for example ureteric stones /kidney stones can result in UTI).

So the steps would be --> do urine culture (can be skipped if facilities not available) --> take antibiotics ---> drink plenty of water ---> followup . If symptoms recur you will need further tests.

Do keep me posted
Feel free to ask followups