Lump in vagina after unprotected sex

Hello Doctor,

I had unprotected sex with my male partner after which a lump had developed on the vagina which used to hurt me and even got inflamed but went away after I left it untouched. I am afraid if it was one of the sexually transmitted infections as it has again developed and is quite huge in shape.

Thanks for your question and concern. I totally understand your problem and as far as I could understand, it could be because of Folliculitis which is actually the inflammation caused to the follicles of hair which usually happens when you wear some tight clothing or due to shaving or it may also be due to the blockage of the pores. There can also be some sexually transmitted infections linked with Folliculitis. The Folliculitismay resolve with the help of some warm compresses along with some oral antibiotics or topical antibiotics such as Mupirocin. But medication itself is not sufficient; you must visit a doctor to make sure that you are not having any sexually transmitted infections that are hurting you.  Some of the infections that get transmitted due to sexual activities are syphilis, Molluscum Contagiosum or in other words herpes.Chancroid is also another infection that can cause the lump on the genital area such as vagina. I would suggest you not to have unprotected sex and also to consult your doctor soon to avoid any kind of inconvenience in future. You could also consult your personal doctor to learn about the safest ways of having sex so that there is no room for the sexually transmitted infections. In caseyou get affected by any of the infection, you need to take immediate care of it before it gets worse. You could also call a helpline available for you and discuss all your problems and issues with the available nurse who would guide you in a best possible manner. Best wishes.