Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Lump inside vagina, hurts to touch. What is this?

Resolved Question:


I have a lump on the inside of my vagina on the vulva I think and it hurts to touch. What could this be? it is quite painful to touch. Is this something I should get checked out by a doctor?

Thanks Ellie

Category: Family Physician-GP

Ask Your Own Question

Category: HIV- AIDS Specialist
 30 Doctors Online

Thank you for your query at
I have seen the image that you sent and from the picture it looks like a vaginal abscess, mostly an infection.
The other possibility is a vaginal cyst which can be confirmed only by physical examination.
The commonest causes of a vaginal abscess is a chlamydial infection.
Are you sexually active? If so, is your partner at risk for STDs? Also do you have any whitish discharge, or difficulty in urination.
Kindly get back to me with answers to the above questions and i will help you further.

Patient replied :

Hi there.
I am sexually active with my partner - we have been together for 2 years. Im having no discharge but my urine smells quite strong.
If it is a infection - would this be a STI?

Thank you for the follow up.
There are two possibilities for a vaginal abscess. The first and very common reason for an abscess is a blocked bartholin's gland, where all the secretions get clogged and form a lump typical to yours. On palpation, it can be confirmed. Sometimes it gets infected, and the bacteria can come even from the natural flora of the vagina, such as E. Coli.
The second possibility is an STI ( Caused most commonly by either chlamydia, or gonorrhoea ). Normally in a monogamous relationship ( you both have been together for 2 years now - it is not that common ). But in both cases, a simple course of antibiotic such as Doxycycline will be helpful.
I will advise you to get yourself examined by an Gynecologist, who can physically feel the lesion, and based on that suggest you further management.

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
Category: HIV- AIDS Specialist
MBBS from Sri Ramachandra University in December 2011
M.Med (Family Medicine) - TNMGR University, Chennai
MBA-MPH in Public Health in March 2016, SRM University
Finished AFIH in March 2016, SRM University
MRCP ( UK ), Internal Medicine, Royal College of Physicians, June 2016
Fellowship in Diabetology from Martin Luther University in January 2017

Currently Resident Physician, in MD Radiodiagnosis - Kamakshi Memorial Hospital, Chennai
Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news