Medication for panic attacks while flying along with ALPRAZOLAM.

I have severe panic attacks while flying. I currently take .5 mil alprazolam and have to sit in an exit row. My wife and I are taking a trip overseas in March, so we will be on the plane 7-8 hours. Our seats are the normal ones, so no extra space. I would like to take something with the Alprazolam that will essentially "knock me out for the flight". Is there anything I can take (over the counter) with the Alp that would help besides alcohol?

Todd

Category: Psychiatrist

Expert:  Dr. Srikanth Reddy replied 4 Days.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
The condition that you are having is basically panic attacks. This is a disorder of anxiety and occurs cause of imbalance of certain neurotransmitters in the brain. especially serotonin, nor adrenaline, and dopamine to some extent. Medicines are the best options to take care of these symptoms. Paroxetine is the the most popular medicine and my drug of choice. I generally prescribe my patients 12.5 mg per day at night which takes care of anxiety symptoms. Also certain medicines like propranolol and clonazepam can be give as required when there is a panic episode or expected situation where panic attack can appear.
Taking alprazolam is a temporary relief from the symptoms and you should seek proper systematic treatment with paroxetine instead.
Now coming to your immediate problem, there are no over the counter medicines for stopping panic attack. But I can suggest that you can take a double dose of your alprazolam like 1mg of alprazolam if the symptoms are quite severe. Further if you can arrange , propranolol is a also a good drug for anxiety and can be taken in the dose of 40mg. The only contraindication is asthma and diabetes. Otherwise its a safe drug and can be taken along with alprazolam.
Hope this helps,
In case if you have any further query, do let me know.
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Doctor of Medicine (MD), Psychiatry Residency Program,2001 – 2012
M.B.B.S,Mahatma Gandhi Institute Of Medical Sciences, Sevagram

Certificate Course in sex Therapy and Counselling, Sexology and Counselling, A
Sexology,Medikon Sexual Sciences, Mumbai

Training in Advanced Neurology at a leading corporate hospital (CARE hospital) in Hyderabad

Child Psychiatry Training in National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences, Bangalore

Sex Therapy and Counsellingat MEDIKON Sexual Sciences, Mumbai.