My Son is 15 years old (weighs 60kg, height 5’2”). 2 weeks back he had a fall, started vomiting profusely, hands stiffened & turned slightly, eyes rolled up (though no foaming, no wetting pants). This went on for 5 to 7 minutes. Then he passed out. He regained his consciousness after 10 minutes. He felt tired, some confusion and did not remember why/how he fell down. On reaching hospital, he was much better. In hospital, his CT brain, MRI Seizures were clean. His heart functions were reported normal using ECG, 24 hours ECG and 2D Echo. His liver test came clean. However, there were slight spikes in EEG. His hematology showed high WBC of 18000, ESR of 24, CPR of 12. He was put on antibiotic Monocef 2gm twice a day for 5 days through IV. He has recurrent tonsillitis (his CT PNS is normal).
Doctor (neurologist) diagnosed him with Primary Generalized Epilepsy (Idiopathic). Neither I nor my wife has any family history of epilepsy. While in hospital for 2 days he was given medicines – INJ Augmentin, INJ Monocef, INJ EPTOIN, INJ Optineuron, Tab Flexon, Tab Valpro, Tab Thenytoin
However, I have seen my son and now I realize for some reason he is very emotional and weeps on slightest problems or provocations, does not speak if shouted, just stares and then becomes normal after sometimes. I do not know if I am overreacting with his these behaviors.
Post discharge from hospital, he was prescribed Tab Phenytoin (1-0-1 for a week, 0-0-1 for a week & then stopped), Tab Valproate CR 200mg (1-0-1 for a week, 1-0-2 for a week).
After 1 week of taking Valproate, his Valproic Acid test was 30micro gram.
Now, he is on Valproate CR 400mg twice a day which he needs to take for 2 years (along with Cap Felicita OD 1 per day, Tab Folvite 5 mg 1 per day and Tab Shelcal 500 mg 1 per day till Valproate is on). Though, the doctor treating him is well known in the area and hospital, I am seeking 2nd advice as the doctor has not told me much about his condition, why this happened, why heart & liver tests were done (though I assumed why CT, MRI & EEG were done).
All the suggested follow ups with neurologist and general medicine doctor (for infection) are done. His latest blood report shows WBC count of 9400, ESR of 16 and CPR of 9.1mg/L. Doctors have said his infection has vanished. Both the doctors have suggested controlling his throat infection by doing saline gargling and controlling his fever.
My queries are:
1. Is it really epilepsy?
2. Is it the fever & infection which may have caused this epilepsy like episode?
3. Does he really have to take Valproate CR 400 – 1-0-1 per day for 2 years?
4. Is this medicine addictive?
5. Will this medicine affect his IQ, general and sexual health?
6. Why is he complaining of intermittent headache, tiredness, uneasiness, (may be anxiety too, he is not able to explain this though). He sleeps well, eats well.
7. Are those mentioned in point no. 6, side effects of the medicine?
8. He is not very social to the extent I feel he is shy. However, now he does not want to go out and be with any of his friends. I take him with me and walk around the complex. However, he quickly wants to go home.
9. Point no. 8, he may be feeling embarrassed of the incident and that’s why avoiding mixing with people.
Category: Neurologist, Medical