Medicine for social phobia

Respected Sir, I feel that I am a person of very weak nervous system. I generally become nervous when I am among large number of persons, e.g., in meeting or in parties. My facial expression becomes very poor and I start stammering too. I am very much concious of my surroundings. In case of work pressure also I feel nervousness. Please suggest some medicines to feel confident at least in parties etc. When I become nervous in parties, it is like very awkward situation for me and also for other persons. So please advice medicine which should be effective for some hours to feel confident in parties or in meeting. Also suggest permanent solutions. With regards,

Category: Psychiatrist

Expert:  Dr. Srikanth Reddy replied 4 Days.

Thank you for your query at DoctorSpring. Sorry for the delay as there was technical problem on my side. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

The condition that you have mentioned is anxiety disorder, social phobia. Its very disabling and is understandable. Basically it is a disorder of thoughts and the abbarant thoughts need to be be identified. Cognitive behavioural therapy done by psychologist or a psychiatrist is a good therapy for these illnesses.
The other way is to start on paroxetine, an anti anxiety drug. I usually start my patients on 12.5 mg at night which responds well. You should discuss these issues with your psychiatrist.

A temporary solution would be propranolol taken some time before the stressful situation. However it should not be consumed if you have asthma or diabetes.
Hope this was help.

If you have any further queries do let me know.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Doctor of Medicine (MD), Psychiatry Residency Program,2001 – 2012
M.B.B.S,Mahatma Gandhi Institute Of Medical Sciences, Sevagram

Certificate Course in sex Therapy and Counselling, Sexology and Counselling, A
Sexology,Medikon Sexual Sciences, Mumbai

Training in Advanced Neurology at a leading corporate hospital (CARE hospital) in Hyderabad

Child Psychiatry Training in National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences, Bangalore

Sex Therapy and Counsellingat MEDIKON Sexual Sciences, Mumbai.