Mega cisterna magna on MRI and headaches

Dear Dr. I had an appointment for MRI and the results came up as -mild symmetrical dilatation of the ventricular system with preserved perihemispheric c.s.f. spaces, - mega cisterna magna, and everything else seem to be normal. I know what does that mean.but i dont know what to do or what exactly the reason for it

Category: Neurosurgeon

Expert:  Dr. Goutham Cugati replied 4 Days.

Thank you for your consult at DoctorSpring.com.

The information provided by you is limited. What I could infer with the details is that there is increase in the size of the ventricles. If it is beyond certain size or if there is periventricular CSF seepage then that might require surgery. But you will probably not require surgery. There are many reasons for it from tumour- infection-trauma-congenital. Probably yours is a congenital type- that is you might be having mild dilatation from birth, but you are not really symptomatic for the same. Mega cisterna magna is a normal variant. For your headache, regular analgesic medications by your treating physician will do good.

Hope this helps, please feel free to discuss further.

With regards,
Dr Goutham Cugati
Consultant Neurosurgeon

Thank you Dr Goutham for the response.The only symptoms I have know are: back of the head near the neck havieness, and some balance problem during normal activities, whereas during workout I do not feel these symptoms at all.The MRI report came up with those two findings and I have done another MRI for the spine and it seems to be normal as well. I don't know if this thing should keep me worrying, or should I let it go and it all these symptoms are psychological and would go with time. I have an appointment with a neurologist soon but I can't wait for an answer.Like if it is a tumour it should shown in the MRI report right?attached the MRI reportRegards

Expert:  Dr. Goutham Cugati replied 3 Days.

Anything which is of concern will definitely show up on MRI. Your complaints can be handled my symptomatic treatment. You can absolutely relax.

With regards,

Dr Goutham Cugati

With regards,

Dr Goutham Cugati

Dr. Goutham Cugati
Residency: Neurosurgery, the Post-Graduate Institute of Neurological Surgery, Dr. Achanta Lakshmipathi Neuro surgical Center, VHS Hospital, Chennai, 2011

Postgraduate in Neurosugery: DNB, National Board of Examinations,
Part 1 - 2008, Part 2 -  2010

Medical School: Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, JSS Medical College, 2004