Mild abdominal pain and mushy stools

I'm a 42yo male. For about 3 wks I've had mild abdominal pain (4-5 on scale of 10 - it's persistent, no worse @ night than during day). It's mainly mid to right side. Mushy stool (would previously have been normal. 1-2 bowel movements a day), no blood, no pain post meal, no real loss of appetite, no nausea, temp normal. I've two young kids and that involves a lot of activity, carrying etc. visited GP 4 days ago. He said no sign of appendicitis, ruled out gallstones due to no change in pain post-meal, urine sample normal. Said it could be a strain, but I'm unsure stools would have changed due to a strain. GP has said to revisit him if pain is not gone in 2 wks and he'll do bloods etc. I'm obviously concerned though and wonder should I speed up the testing process. Additionally, and in case it's relevant, I've had a productive chesty cough for over two wks, but that has eased. The sputum was always clear.

The right sided abdominal pain could be a number of reasons. From your description of the symptoms I think there is no danger or warning signs which warrants immediate evaluation. Abdominal pain symptomatically is often vague and seldom contributes to a conclusive diagnosis (Except in certain conditions). So the best approach would be to consider the common and possible conditions and treat them. In your case this pain could be due to a Ulcer peptic disease (or commonly called stomach ulcer). A mild viral gastroenteritis is another possibility. Mushy stool can occur in any of these condition as this can speed up the gastric emptying time. This is not a specific sign. I would recommend this approach for now :

1. Being peptic ulcer the most likely cause, you may take an OTC anti ulcer medication like Prilosec for 10 days in early morning once a day atleast 1 hour before food.
2. Avoid spicy and irritant foods
3. Do not skip meals . Eat at regular intervals.
4. If the pain still persists report your Doctor for further evaluation.

Please feel free to ask followup queries.