Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Muscle sprain and weakness

Resolved Question:

This is to get some sort of help from you for an embarrassing situation I am going through. From June last year, I had a sudden weakness in my left side muscles. I underwent many diagnostic tests but with no problems in tests. After I got affected with this, I am facing a lot of trouble in the left part of my body. When I walk for a few minutes, my left eye feels drooping and closes so that I can't open it. This happens with the left part of my mouth also and I feel it hard to move my mouth. Likewise, my left arm and leg also feel weak. But I feel better when I stop walking. Now a days, I feel that things are getting worse. My right side also goes weak and right eye also closes at times. I would have to use my fingers then, to open eyes. Now, my right side of mouth also droops as well. I have been to hospitals 4 times before. They are unable to find anything wrong with me. Now I also feel something like a gripping sensation in my throat. All these happen when I move in a car or while walking for some time. Why this happens so? Is this simply psychological? Please help me.

Category: Sexologist

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
 28 Doctors Online

Thank you for using Ask a Doctor Services from Doctor Spring

I can understand your problem. This could be really worrying you. I will help you the best I can.

The symptoms sound more like guillian barre syndrome. Guillain-Barre syndrome is an autoimmune disorder. Symptoms of Guillain-Barre can get develop very quickly. It may take only a few hours to reach the most severe symptoms, but weakness that increases over several days is also common. Muscle weakness or the loss of muscle function (paralysis) affects both sides of the body. In most cases, the muscle weakness starts in the legs and then spreads to the arms. This is called ascending paralysis. It is also associated with drooling. However,  Most people do recover completely

I would advise you to consult a GP/ Neurologist as early possible to evaluate your symptoms. It is better not to delay. The doctor could ask you to do some tests like

  1. Cerebrospinal fluid sample ("spinal tap")
  2. ECG
  3. Electromyography (EMG) tests the electrical activity in muscles
  4. Nerve conduction velocity test

These tests would help them in diagnosing the condition. And to rule out other conditions which present with similar symptoms like

  1. Acute myelopathy (eg, from compression, transverse myelitis, vascular injury)
  2. Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy
  3. Spinal cord compression
  4. Spinal cord syndromes

Hence, my suggestion will be to arrange for a appointment with GP/ Neurologist as early possible. If you are happy with the doctors you have been to, you can always take a second opinion from a doctor at different hospital. I would recommend you to double check with reputed and experienced doctors before starting on a treatment for your problem.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask if you need further help.

Thank you.

Dr. John Monheit
Category: Family Physician-GP
Residecny: North Colorado Family Medicine
Medical School: The Chicago Medical Center
Dr. John Monheit and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news