Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Nausea and vomiting with loss of energy

Resolved Question:

Hi. I'm 23 yrs. old and for the past 2 months I have been really sick. It started out with what they said was an infection in my bowel. I got hospitalized for that. A few days later I was really sick again and they did another CT scan and said it looks like possible Cohn's Disease. I got referred to a surgeon who did a colonoscopy and he said he saw inflammation but that's it. For the past 2 wks. I have been having very severe stomach pain and every time I eat, even if it's only a few bites, I throw it up within an hour. I have an appt with a GI but they can't see me until July 22. I have been to there and they just give me fluids and potssium because it's always low and then they send me home. I don't know what to do because I'm so sick and I have no energy at all and I have 2 kids to take care of. Please Help!!!!!

Category: Community

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
 21 Doctors Online


It seems like you are suffering from an acute exacerbation of ulcerative colitis. The inflammation of the colon is the sign of ulcerative colitis which is basically crohns that affects only the colon. It causes decreased potassium due to loss in stools and decreased absorption.

As you might know ulcerative colitis is a type of inflammatory bowel disease which causes inflammation of the bowel and causes severe debilitating symptoms.

1) Ulcerative colitis can be confirmed by doing a colonoscopy and a simultaneous biopsy. Histological exam can help in diagnosis of UC.

2) You might need parentral IV nutrition to improve the body stores of electrolytes and fluids

3) Take tab. Ondansetron or domperidone to decrease the vomiting and nausea.

4) Its imperative that you maintain a good, healthy and balanced diet. You will also need daily replenishment of important micro nutrients like calcium, folic acid and vitamin B12.

5) Get a colonoscopy every 3 years to rule out colon cancer.

If the symptoms persist for more than 2 weeks in spite of my recommendations, kindly consult a gastroenterologist who might schedule you for a colonoscopy.

Thank you.

Dr. John Monheit
Category: Family Physician-GP
Residecny: North Colorado Family Medicine
Medical School: The Chicago Medical Center
Dr. John Monheit and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news