Numbness and slight bruising of toes after using tight shoes

Last Saturday 28th, I started a new job where I am constantly on my feet and walking about. I wore a pair of shoes to work that day that I have worn before for shorter periods of time (I had noticed that holes would develop in my socks at the big toes when wearing them).
They did not feel tight or uncomfortable while wearing them at work; however, upon removing them at home nine hours later, I discovered the tips of both my big toes to be very numb. The numbness has not improved since.

I have stopped wearing the shoes since, except for two hours today for an interview, where I was seated for most of the time.
From reading online I gather that this is called neurapraxia? My question is, do you think this instance warrants visiting a GP, or is this necessary?

The numbness could be due to two reasons - 1. a Temporary ischemia due to a cut off of blood supply 2. A nerve compression as you suspect. The first possibility is most likely (a tight shoes cutting of the blood supply ). But in that case recovery would not be this delayed under normal circumstances. So we can consider both possibilities. Neurapraxia is a type of reversible nerve injury caused by compression or unusual pressure at the nerves.

A GP visit is not necessary as of now. The main reason being there is no active intervention to be done. The recovery should happen on its own and external agents seldom helps. The important thing is to make sure that you are no injuring your toes unknowingly, as the sensations are impaired. Sleep and rest with foot resting on a bed (rather than hanging down). Elevate the foot end with a pillow.

If the symptoms persist beyond 2-3 days and /or if there is increasing redness, colour change at the site or if the numbness is spreading, you should get in touch with your GP.

Please feel free to ask followup questions.

Thanks for your answer. Just to clarify in that last paragraph, do you mean 2-3 days from my asking the question, or 2-3 days from when the numbness began (as then it has already been 2-3 days).

There is no redness or swelling, but there is some bruising on the nail of the left toe (in which the numbness is worse).

I guess I am just wondering if this is common? It has never happened to me before and I am admittedly a bit of a hypochondriac!

2-3 days from now / asking the question.
This is not very common. Since there is no redness or swelling, it could be more like a nerve compression. Either Way spontaneous recovery of sensation should happen. Hope for the best.

Well, this is not very common. The numbness may last for 12-24 hours, but to be honest for this long, it is bit unsual.