Pain and erectile problems following hernia surgery

I am suffering from some sexual problems as of now. I suffered from testicular cancer about 8years ago and got its right side removed. Moreover, my left side is not ideal in working. I had a inguinal hernia surgery about 8 months ago, on my left side. Now-a-days, my sexual activity is not in an enjoyable manner. Now I experience pain in genital area. Moreover I find it difficult to keep on erection for long. When I get an erection, it is not as long as firm as it was before. My testosterone levels are normal. Could those surgeries affected my testosterone levels or my sperm count? What makes erection problems in me?

Hello, Thank you for writing to us.

I can understand how difficult it is to have a problem with these many conditions.

First of all, let me confirm that the surgery to inguinal hernia, in most of the cases, wouldnt lead to the problems in erection, as the blood vessels and nerves that are involved in erection are deep seated in the penis, so that there is a less chance for their damage to occur in this type of surgery. As in your case, you have not mentioned about other associated disorders like Hypertension, Diabetes, heart disease etc. All these diseases have more or less association with erectile dysfunction. Also the psychological factor plays a key role in the erection in men. As your testosterone levels are normal, I suggest you to consult a physician for a formal physical examination, and to rule out other associated disorders before they get complicated.