Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Pain at the end of urination.

Resolved Question:

I have been suffering from a sharp pain after urinating, for the past few weeks. But I don't have any burning feeling during urination or at end. But at times, I feel like my bladder gets filled with a burning sensation. Sometimes I feel sharp pains in both bladder and at the entrance of vagina. It will be severe if I clench muscles. Now I am on Nitrofurantoin, but I feel that it is making me worse. I drink enough water (about 2 liters of water and cranberry juice) every day. For this I tried Cystitis kits and applies vaginal cream for BV. Now, can you tell me a solution for this pain?

Category: Sexologist

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
 18 Doctors Online

Hello, Thanks for writing to us,

Considering you to be in the middle aged woman, I would like to tell you that women experience the urinary tract infection very often owing to the short urethra. The irritable bladder and the irritable urethra can lean to this medical condition. The irritant could be any of the following:

  • Infection by --Fecal contamination most commonly E.coli

--Bladder parasite

  • Bladder stones
  • Chemical irritant creams

--Flavored moisturizers

--talcum powder in people who use it in the perineal area

  • In post-menopausal women estrogen deficiency
  • Inner garment -fabric allergy
  • Very rarely the bladder or urethral cancer (very unlikely)
  • Or it could also be because of the very less intake of water.

Nitrofurantoin is a very good choice of antibiotic for urinary tract infection, provided that particular bacteria is sensitive to that drug.

A minimum of 5-6 litres of water is the normal daily requirement. More intake of water helps flushing out the irritant. It is advised not to take excess of over the counter medications.

In post-menopausal women, there are changes in the urethral cell lining due to the deficiency of estrogen. Those cells are estrogen sensitive and during deficiency the area gets atrophied (shrunken and dried), consequently gets more irritable. Also the diabetic status should be known.

It is advised to consult the physician, and upon referral get a complete urine examination, culture and sensitivity of the early morning mid-stream urine sample done for further management.

Hope this helps.

Dr. John Monheit
Category: Family Physician-GP
Residecny: North Colorado Family Medicine
Medical School: The Chicago Medical Center
Dr. John Monheit and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news