Pain in nostril with DEVIATED SEPTUM. Treatment?

I am having pain in my left nostril of my nose. It is tender to touch and almost feels like the skin is tight. It doesn't look red from the outside. I am not currently congested. I have noticed lately that I have had more green snot and my nose has been more runny. It doesn't feel like a sinus infection, though. I used my Neti pot last night to see if it would soothe the pain, but today it hurts more. Yesterday pain was a little annoying- like a 2 on scale of 1-10. Today I am very aware of it- about a 6. If I touch it from the outside or go to blow my nose, it hurts more. I thought it was something just irritated, but I am wondering if there is a different cause now. I do have a deviated septum. But this is the more open nostril....

Thanks!
Mollie

Category: ENT Specialist

Expert:  Dr. Sunil Jalan replied 4 Days.

Thank you for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com

You are suffering on left side of nostril and tip of nose. From the history you have given, the most probable diagnosis seems to suggest it is classical nasal vestibulitis. Nasal vestibulitis is a minor infection at the nose opening or infection of hair follicle inside the nostril. It may result from excessive nose picking or nose blowing.
You can start following medication for 5 days

Amxicillin + clavulanic acid ( Augmentin 625 mg two times

Tab. Aceclofenac ( Zerodol- P) two times

Tab. Omeprazole( omez 20 mg) two times

You should check your blood sugar, if high need to take medications for same.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to discuss.

Best regards
Dr. Sunil Jalan
MBBS, DLO,MS(CMC,VELLORE)DNB(ENT),DAA,MBA(HM)

Hi Dr. Jalan,
Thank you for your response. Since the walk in clinics closed at 7:30, I ran over to CVS after I emailed you. They prescribed me amoxicillin 2x a day for 7 days and erythromycin 2% topical gel.
Is this similar to what you recommended or do I need to follow up with my PCP or an ENT?
One thing I didn't mention is that I have been adding an apple cider vinegar drink to my diet (a friend told me it helped with digestion and could help with sinus problems). I have about 2 tbs a day diluted in water with lemon juice. Is that something that could be related to needing to check my blood sugar or why you are recommending omeprezal? Did I aggravate something?
Thanks!
Mollie

Expert:  Dr. Sunil Jalan replied 3 Days.

Its same, so you can start either.
As you do not have symptoms of sinusitis, adding something will not benefit much.
I have asked to check your blood sugar as it is common to get skin infection in
Diabetics, it just a routine practice to rule out high blood sugar with nasal
vestibulitis. It is normal in many patients.
As I have included paracetamol which might cause gastritis in a few patients that's why
I have prescribed you omeprazole too.
Best regards

Dr. Sunil Jalan
DAA (Diploma in asthma and allergy) : Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2012
D.N.B (ENT), 2011
Residency - M.S. (Master post graduate degree in otorhinolaryngology),  Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2009
D.L.O. (Diploma in otorhinolaryngology) - Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2007
Medical School - M.B.B.S, S.P. Medical college, Bikaner, 2004