Pain under ribs with IBS. Cause and treatment?

hello doctor I have IBS and the latest problem I have is pain tucked up under right rib

Category: Gastroenterologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 4 Days.

Thank you for your medical query at DoctorSpring.com
I understand your concern, however, it would be better if you can elaborate your symptoms a bit. Pain under the ribs is associated with liver pathology and not with IBS. Hence you need to mention the symptoms, the duration, the severity and whether you have been on any kind of medication for the same.
Kindly get back to me with these details,

i have had pain for years on and off also it is on both sides of ribs also other parts of stomach feels like something being twisted inside it is mild and the lastest bout for about 4 days now i have had colonoscopy and endoscopy a year ago all fine i have gterrible anxiety and depression and now having cbt

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 3 Days.

IBS is not associated with this kind of pain.
I will advise you to get an ultrasound done. This will help in finding whether the liver is involved.
In some cases, inflammation around the ribs cause similar symptoms ( costochondritis ). You can try a course of Advil twice daily after food, and see if the pain responds to it.

I also have acid reflux after i eat the pain in ribs does subside and also goes away completely at night i also have a lot of gas

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 2 Days.

Thank you for your follow-up.
You can take Cap. Omeprazole 20 mg twice daily, that will reduce the acid reflux.
For your gas, it is possible you have bacterial overgrowth. You can take a course of Rifaximin twice daily for 2 weeks.
Continue this treatment and let me know if there is improvement.

Dr. Ratnakar Kini
Fellowship - DM - TN Dr.MGR Medical UniversityResidency - TN Dr.MGR Medical University Medical School - Stanely Medical College, TN Dr.MGR Medical University