Painful itching in the penis.

Hello Doctor,

I am a male of age 27. I am sexually active and have only one sexual partner. Occasionally I involve myself in unprotected sex. From one week around, I am having strong itching in my penis with is quite painful. The upper portion of the penis show minor inflammation and redness.  Is it due to unprotected sex or anything else?

Thank you for your question. It is always advisable to be involved in protected sex. It saves you from many infections and sexually transmitted diseases besides working as a birth control measure. Itching penis may be due to varied reasons but as you mentioned about unprotected sex, the most probable reason can be infections. The jock itch i.e. the redness along with itchy groin area is due to such infections. Infection can be fungal or bacterial, the treatment of which depend upon the case. Other reasons can be tight undergarments, allergic reaction towards a particular thing.  You are advised to maintain proper hygienic conditions. Consult a doctor and undergo the examination so that the exact cause can be known and proper treatment can be started soon. Take care and stay healthy always.