Painful lump with red streaking between breasts.

I had a pea sized, painless lump between my breasts and under the skin for 7 months. It never changed size, moved or went away. I woke up 6 days ago, and it's now the size of a prune and painful. I applied hot compresses with and without epsom salt for 3 days. There was still no change. I then got PRID general salve and have applied that diligently for 3 more days. Still no change. Its still very painful and now it's starting to be tender and painful in other areas of my left breast and has red streaking.
I called for an appt yesterday and spoke with a nurse, but Sept 2 is the soonest they'll get me in.
I'm 35. Have no fever and I am not pregnant or breast feeding. Pls help.

Category: General Surgeon

Expert:  Dr. Hari Charan Perigela replied 4 Days.

Thank you for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com
As per your description, it looks like an infected sebaceous cyst.
Sebaceous cyst is a cystic swelling occurs in relation to hair follicle.
It got infected in your case.
Because of the infection and associated inflammation,it has become red and painful.
Usually, I will remove the swelling as a whole under anaesthesia.
So, during your appointment with your doctor, ask him to excise the swelling.
Till appointment, you should use antibiotic and anti inflammatory tablets. In course of time, it may rupture and release pus.Even then, nothing to worry. You can ask your doctor to remove the residual swelling.
You will be alright.
Hope I answered your query.
If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela
Fellowship: DNB, General Surgery, National Board of Examinations, New Delhi, 2001
Residency: MS, General Surgery, Sri Venkateswara Medical College,Tirupathi, 2000
Medical School: MBBS, Kurnool Medical college, 1995