Painful red swollen toe. Ways to alleviate pain.

My husband has a painful red swollen are around his big toe. It's quite painful when wearing shoes though the pain still persists (though not as bad) when in bare feet. Can you identify The cause and the best way to alleviate the pain?

Category: Orthopedic Surgeon

Expert:  Dr. Mukesh Tiwari replied 4 Days.

Looking at your details,it looks that he may be suffering from paronychia .This is nail bed infection.It can be treated by good anti inflammatory analgesic and antibiotic medicines. I will advise him Advil twice daily after food and application of Mupirocin ointment twice daily on the nailbed for 7 days.
Kindly update me after application of the ointment, whether it is getting better.
Hope this will help,

Dr. Mukesh Tiwari
Fellowship - Khandaka Hospital, Jaipur
Residency - MS, Rabindranath Tagore Medical College, Udaipur, 2000
Medical School, Internship - MBBS, SMS Medical College, Jaipur, 1995