Painless jaw swelling

I am a 41 year old male.

About a year ago I detected a painless swelling in my right jaw. I watched it for a while and have noticed no apparent change since I first noticed it. However, I recently pointed it out to my doctor and was sent for an ultrasound.

The ultrasound was not conclusive but it turned up more information. I have attached the results. I have an appointment scheduled with a head and neck specialist in Feb. and my doctor's office is in the process of getting a CT scan scheduled for me.

My questions really are:

1. What are the possibilties?
2. What is the most likely case?
3. How urgently should this be handled?

Category: Orthopedic Surgeon

Expert:  Dr. Mukesh Tiwari replied 4 Days.

I have gone through the attached report. Unfortunately the report only gives me limited information. Ultrasound is a 'live' procedure (more like a video). The report will be a synopsis only.

However considering that you are having a painless, non growing selling for 1 yr - it is mostly suggestive of Benign (non cancerous swelling). Considering this fact , I would say there is not much urgency. You can discuss with your Doctor whether the swelling is amenable to a FNAC (Fine needle aspiration cytology). This might give a better picture than the CT. (CT result again can be inconclusive. FNAC can give a tissue diagnosis. And even after CT you may have to go for a FNAC. Possibilities are what your Doctor has mentioned - Lymphnodes or benign salivary glands swellings.

Please feel free to ask followps

Dr. Mukesh Tiwari
Fellowship - Khandaka Hospital, Jaipur
Residency - MS, Rabindranath Tagore Medical College, Udaipur, 2000
Medical School, Internship - MBBS, SMS Medical College, Jaipur, 1995