Pinched nerve at the spinal level.

I had a twisting back injury on 2/26. I went to an orthopedic doctor on 3/4 and was given Naprosyn, clear Xrays and told to use heat and ice interchangeably. I have been following Doctor's orders.

Initial Symptoms: When I lift my right leg my lower back on left tenses up and hurts. When I rotate left to right with my hips, the same effect on my lower back on left. When I go to bend and touch my toes I can only make it half way before it hurts in the same spot. When I lift my left leg it is a little uncomfortable. The pain starts in my lower left back and travels right every single time it hurts. Pain is relieved by rest and heat/ice.

New symptoms: pain in my buttocks when I perform all of the above, and more intense lower back pain in the same spot but now instead of it radiating from left to right, it shoots all the way up my back.

I cannot get an appointment until Thursday. Any interim diagnoses or suggestions until then?

What could have caused the change from my initial symptoms to my new symptoms when all I have been doing is resting, icing, heating, and taking my medication?

I have thoroughly analysed your symptoms. One characteristic symptom you have is a radiating pain. This might suggest a nerve compression (pinched nerve) at the spinal level. The twisting injury could have damaged a vertebral disc resulting in a disc bulge or herniation. This bulge can cause a nerve compression.

Most cases this will heal without any long term sequelae. You might need to get a MRI of LS spine to rule out this. Some times if the injury is small MRI might not pick it up.

You can wait till your Doctor's appointment. Take bed rest whenever possible. DO NOT exert, exercise or carry weight. Lie down in a comfortable, neutral position. You can lie flat on your back or on side with a pillow between your knees. Take the pain medication . The anti inflammatory action of Naprosyn will help in reducing the inflammation.

It is better not to do any exercise or physical therapy as this stage.

Do keep me posted. You can review with me after your Docotors appointment. I will keep the consult open.
Feel free to ask followups

What could have caused the late onset of these symptoms? It got worse over time- not better. How is that possible?

Hello, It says consult cancelled in my dashboard. Please contact support and reverse the refund request. Thank you