Please advice should I stop taking Eption 100 MG - 1 Tablet.

Doctor, I am 39 Years old married Man , almost 21 years ago I have series of seizures and Doctor advised me Eption 100 MG - 3 Tablets (1 Tablet in morning and 2 Tablets in night), when Seizures fully not controlled, we contact to Neurologist and as per CT SCAN reports I am diagnosed with neurocysticercosis and our Neurologist advised me 2 Tablet of Tab Albendazole in morning for 3 Months along with 3 Tablets of Eption - 100 MG in night with appropriate diet. Later on after 3 months Doctor advised to stop taking Albendazole and keep continue to take 3 Tablets of Eption - 100 MG in night, later on Eption Tablet reduced up to ONE TABLET. During same above period I have been treated for Tuberculosis too by another Doctor. Recently I gone through many Tests like Elisa Test for TB and CT SCAN , MRI etc and all reports are normal , no where any abnormality detected. Now almost from last 17 - 18 years I do not suffer from seizure, living normal life [Doing Driving / Swimming, Adventures Sports etc], please advice should I stop taking Eption 100 MG - 1 Tablet.

Thank you for asking your query.

I have reviewed the attached CT reports (which is more or less normal) and your clinical history.

Withdrawal of AEDs (Anti eplileptic drugs - like Eptoin) can be considered once the patient had seizure free interval of 3-5 years. You are seizure free for last 17-18 years, you maintain an active lifestyle. And the recent MRI/investigations are within normal limits. In my opinion your AED - (Anti epileptic medication) can be stopped, under medical supervision. The decision to stop AEDs like Eptoin is usually taken on case by case basis analyzing the features of each patient.

Now, its not recommended to stop the drug by yourself. Also you should know that there is always a chance of recurrence of seizure if you stop the drug. Also you should refrain from driving and high risk physical /contact sports once you stop the drug atleast for a couple of months. I my opinion these factors should not deter you from withdrawing the drug. You should get in touch with your treating physician and discuss about withdrawal of the drug and proceed further.

Please feel free to ask followup questions via this email itself.

Dr.Deepak Misra MD, DM

UCL Fellow in Neurology