Please help me and let me know if I have an STD?

I am 21 year old, I have this problem since I have been sexually active. There is this pain when I pass urine throughout the process. It feels like my entire urine is on fire. Sometimes I see slight whitish appearance of the urine. Does it mean I have sexually transmitted infection? My boy friend does not have any problem he is absolutely fine. I have no other health issues, my periods are normal. Please help me and let me know if I have an STD? What should I do?

Hello, thanks for writing to us. It appears that you have urethritis- meaning infection and or irritation to the urethra which is the outer and lower most part of urinary tract . There could be many causes of urethritis not just sexually transmitted infection. Use of chemicals, deodorants, douches, vaginal contraceptives and tampons can all lead to allergic or chemical reactions causing urethritis.

In your case because you have been experiencing this condition since your sexual life has begun, it could most probably be due to sexually transmitted disease. But usually it is associated with infection in the vagina. Also it could be due to vigorous and frequent sexual intercourse causing damage to the urethra with friction and leading to infection. The above two reasons usually co-exist and aggravate each other. The sexually transmitted disease if present is caused by Gonococcus, Chlamydia trachomatis, candidal, Trichomonas and certain other organisms like viruses .

Physical examination followed by culture and microscopy of urine is usually done to establish diagnosis. Appropriate antibiotic or antifungal drug administration as indicated by the culture, would be the next step of management. It is advised to avoid all irritants like deodorants, vaginal contraceptives and douches etc incase habituated to any of the above mentioned things. I recommend you not to use any over the counter antibiotics, as resistance to the organism, if develops, would become a big problem for the treatment part. Consult your Gynacecologist for further management of your case.