Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Please help me and let me know if I have an STD?

Resolved Question:

I am 21 year old, I have this problem since I have been sexually active. There is this pain when I pass urine throughout the process. It feels like my entire urine is on fire. Sometimes I see slight whitish appearance of the urine. Does it mean I have sexually transmitted infection? My boy friend does not have any problem he is absolutely fine. I have no other health issues, my periods are normal. Please help me and let me know if I have an STD? What should I do?

Category: Sexologist

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
 29 Doctors Online

Hello, thanks for writing to us. It appears that you have urethritis- meaning infection and or irritation to the urethra which is the outer and lower most part of urinary tract . There could be many causes of urethritis not just sexually transmitted infection. Use of chemicals, deodorants, douches, vaginal contraceptives and tampons can all lead to allergic or chemical reactions causing urethritis.

In your case because you have been experiencing this condition since your sexual life has begun, it could most probably be due to sexually transmitted disease. But usually it is associated with infection in the vagina. Also it could be due to vigorous and frequent sexual intercourse causing damage to the urethra with friction and leading to infection. The above two reasons usually co-exist and aggravate each other. The sexually transmitted disease if present is caused by Gonococcus, Chlamydia trachomatis, candidal, Trichomonas and certain other organisms like viruses .

Physical examination followed by culture and microscopy of urine is usually done to establish diagnosis. Appropriate antibiotic or antifungal drug administration as indicated by the culture, would be the next step of management. It is advised to avoid all irritants like deodorants, vaginal contraceptives and douches etc incase habituated to any of the above mentioned things. I recommend you not to use any over the counter antibiotics, as resistance to the organism, if develops, would become a big problem for the treatment part. Consult your Gynacecologist for further management of your case.

Hope this helps.

Dr. John Monheit
Category: Family Physician-GP
Residecny: North Colorado Family Medicine
Medical School: The Chicago Medical Center
Dr. John Monheit and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news