Pleuritis.

Some short stats about me: Female, 28years old, no medication, about 58kg/165cm. Currently writing my phd thesis, so a lot of sitting is involved.

I have the following problem: I was sleeping in my bed when I was turning around. The movement brought with it a sudden tearing pain of the like which I have not felt in my life before. The pain is on the upper abdomen slightly to the right, two fingers beneath my breast - at the end of my ribs.

The area is swollen/numb now and there's some pressure. When my bowels move/I walk, I feel a not-so-distant echo of that pulling pain in the area. I remember laughing weirdly a day or so ago and that didn't quite sit right with me. Could this have caused it? Should I go see the hospital about it? It's Sunday, so all normal clinics are closed.

Thank you!

The tearing pain brought out by the twisting motions is most likely from a muscle or ligament over related to the ribs. Second possibility is as a stretching of the parietal pleura (the pain sensitive membrane over the lung) or the peritoneal lining over the gallbladder or liver.

The major organs are UNLIKELY to be involved as they do not have receptors for this kind of pain. So the origin of this pain is superficial and most likley not serious.

You can cautiously observe the symptoms and see how it evolves. You can take an OTC pain medication like Ibuprofen twice a day with food. Yes you do have symptoms of acid reflex (Ibuprofen could worsen them). So you can take another OTC anti reflux medication like Prilosec once day for 7 days without food.

Increasing swelling, abdominal pain, altered bowel habits, nausea, vomiting, breathlessness, increasing pain are the danger signs you need to watch. In case of any these signs develop you will need to visit the ER.

Feel free to ask followups