Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home


Resolved Question:


Some short stats about me: Female, 28years old, no medication, about 58kg/165cm. Currently writing my phd thesis, so a lot of sitting is involved.

I have the following problem: I was sleeping in my bed when I was turning around. The movement brought with it a sudden tearing pain of the like which I have not felt in my life before. The pain is on the upper abdomen slightly to the right, two fingers beneath my breast - at the end of my ribs.

The area is swollen/numb now and there's some pressure. When my bowels move/I walk, I feel a not-so-distant echo of that pulling pain in the area. I remember laughing weirdly a day or so ago and that didn't quite sit right with me. Could this have caused it? Should I go see the hospital about it? It's Sunday, so all normal clinics are closed.

Thank you!

Category: Internal Medicine Specialist

Ask Your Own Question

Category: HIV- AIDS Specialist
 32 Doctors Online


Thank you for choosing DoctorSpring.

The tearing pain brought out by the twisting motions is most likely from a muscle or ligament over related to the ribs. Second possibility is as a stretching of the parietal pleura (the pain sensitive membrane over the lung) or the peritoneal lining over the gallbladder or liver.

The major organs are UNLIKELY to be involved as they do not have receptors for this kind of pain. So the origin of this pain is superficial and most likley not serious.

You can cautiously observe the symptoms and see how it evolves. You can take an OTC pain medication like Ibuprofen twice a day with food. Yes you do have symptoms of acid reflex (Ibuprofen could worsen them). So you can take another OTC anti reflux medication like Prilosec once day for 7 days without food.

Increasing swelling, abdominal pain, altered bowel habits, nausea, vomiting, breathlessness, increasing pain are the danger signs you need to watch. In case of any these signs develop you will need to visit the ER.

Hope this helps
Feel free to ask followups
Thank you

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
Category: HIV- AIDS Specialist
MBBS from Sri Ramachandra University in December 2011
M.Med (Family Medicine) - TNMGR University, Chennai
MBA-MPH in Public Health in March 2016, SRM University
Finished AFIH in March 2016, SRM University
MRCP ( UK ), Internal Medicine, Royal College of Physicians, June 2016
Fellowship in Diabetology from Martin Luther University in January 2017

Currently Resident Physician, in MD Radiodiagnosis - Kamakshi Memorial Hospital, Chennai
Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news