Pressure and pain behind right eye

Hi for the past week everyday, I have felt pressure/pain behind my right eye. I would not say it is the same as a headache, but it does feel painful inside my head (right behind right my eye). It happens throughout the day and night. It gets very bad at times and last for about 30 mins. It even wakes me up at nights, and most mornings I wake up with the feeling. It feels better if physical activities keep me busy (e.g.,if I am playing golf). I wanted to ask what my problem is and if it is necessary to see a doctor in person (since I don't have insurance). Thank you so much!!!

I would like to know some additional details from you so that I can provide a solid and learned opinion.
You can reply as a followup

1. Do you have any nausea, vomiting ?
2. Do you have any visual symptoms , such as blackening of vision, double vision etc ?
3. Is it painful to touch the side of your head (above the ears on both sides )
4. Any numbness or weakness of upper or lower limbs ?
5. Any deviation of angle of mouth ?

Thank you Dr. Sebastian!

I have NONE of the symtons you mentioned.

Also want to mention, it also happens (or get slightly worst) if I sit for a while, then stand up. Or vice versa, sit down after a period of standing. And also looking up with my head (when my neck moves to drop my head down)

But it does NOT happen when I am bending down or coughing.

Thank you for the reply.

Well, the symptom is non specific. That means at this stage it is difficult to come to a single diagnosis. However there are no obvious warning/danger signs. So you can judiciously wait for a couple more days. Meanwhile you can take a OTC pain medication like Ibuprofen 400 mg once day.

If the pain persists you will need an evolution. Unfortunately a Physical examination is not likely to yield much result. You will need an opthalmic examination and an imagining study like CT to come to conclusion. That is why said you can have an watch and wait approach, but in case of any unusual symptom do get medical help.

This consult will be open, so can get back to me at any time

Feel free to ask follwoups

Thank you!

I have been searching for the internet to see what it could be and the closest I came to is cluster headache. I had the same feeling about the same time last year. What do you think?

I did consider all the possibilities including cluster headache. Cluster headaches can be typically around the eyes, but the pain is much more pronounced with Autonomic symptoms (like tears, miosis, lacrimation, conjunctival injection, rhinorrhea, and nasal congestion etc). These symptoms are conspicuously absent for you.

That is why I mention the symptoms is bit 'non specific' now. This does not mean it is 'not significant'. So it is better to not to put a diagnosis at this stage and keep the options open. Symptomatic management would be better now.

Feel free to ask followup