Prostatic calcification

I had a frequent sense of urination problem after which I took the general urine culture test which showed there was nothing wrong. Then I met an urologist and who did a USG and found that I had a 6 MM stone in urethra and 5 MM in right kidney. So I took antibiotics for 3 weeks hoping it would get eliminated. But nothing much happened after which the doctor said we will do cystoscopy and remove the ureteral stone and we went for the surgery but when he went inside there was no stone through the passage from the bladder through the urethra. It was clean. It was a normal bladder, prostate and urethra. So nothing much was done except for viewing and I was kept a catheter for a day and discharged. After a week again when the scan was done it still showed the stone was there. Then doctor said we will do a trans rectal ultra sound and I did that. There they found that it was a calcification in the prostate but the prostate is normal in size and shows uniform echo texture for which doc said nothing to worry and put me on 3 months of antibiotics.

The Cystoscopy and TRUS showed:

Normal Bladder
Normal size of prostate (No prostate enlargement)
Normal Urethra
Few calci in the right lobe of the prostate (Prostatic Calcification)

I wanted to know how difficult is it to treat prostatic calcification and how long does it take? Is there something serious to worry.

Category: Urologist

Expert:  Dr. Gautam Banga replied 4 Days.

Prostatic calcification is a benign condition and result of inflammation or infection of prostate in past. There is no treatment for prostatic calcification and they lie dormant for long time. I would say you need not worry about this as it is unlikely cause this symptoms.

I would like to know how your symptoms are now . Is the frequent urination still bothering you ? Or is it better ? Do you have any other symptom at this point ?

Dr Gautam Banga
Reconstructive urologist

Hello Dr,

Thank you for the response. These were my symptoms earlier:

Frequent sense and urge to urinate even after i had been to restroom
Sense of burning
Wetness feeling after urination like dribbling.

Now these are my symptoms:

No urge now and also after i urinate there is no feeling to go again but the wetness feeling is there for quite sometime after which it leads to the sensation of urination. The sensation is not there always but sometimes in a day.

Burning sensation have come down drastically. I just wanted to get rid of the wetness feeling and also the sensation that occurs sometimes. There are no other symptoms.

The doctor said it is due to this calcification and hes treating it to LUTS or prostatis. Your expert opinion on this will help a lot.

Ram

Ram

Expert:  Dr. Gautam Banga replied 3 Days.

I think the gradual resolution of symptoms is a good signs. Plus all your evaluation and tests are clear. So yes I would term in a LUTS and continue the symptomatic treatment. i assume you are taking antibiotics and if so please do continue them. You can expect complete resolution within few weeks. You can also consider a medication called tamsulosin in consult with your Doctor.

Feel free to ask followups

Dr. Gautam Banga
MS Surgery: MGM Medical College & M.Y Hospital Indore
Residency: M.Ch, Urology, SMS Medical College & Hospitals Jaipur
Medical School: MBBS, BJ Medical College, Pune, 2001
Training in Urethral Reconstructive surgery: Kulkarni Reconstructive Urology center, Pune