Question about HIV

Let me say something about me. I will become nervous even in something which seem simple to others. Now, the problem is that I have a query about HIV. I happened to eat a piece of live coconut, given by some stranger guys in train. They broke the hard shell of coconut with bare hands and got a wound in hand. Some drops of blood came oozing out of the wound. Now, my question is, Is there a chance of getting myself infected with HIV, if I got a smear of blood taken through the coconut piece and if the guys is affected with HIV? The coconut piece tasted as usual without any smell of blood, but the thought is haunting me. Help me please.

Hello, Thanks for writing to us,

There is very less possibility that you might get contracted with HIV in this case because the chance that the two of your fellow travelers being positive is very less. On top of everything, you ingesting that insignificant amount of blood with unknown viral load adds to your advantage. To begin with I would like to tell you the ways of getting infected with HIV:

1. First and the fore most is unprotected sexual intercourse with an HIV infected individual. This is the most rapid route of spreading infection.
  2. Needle stick injury with HIV infected blood.
  3. Needle sharing habits in drug abusers usually also associated with Hepatitis B.
  4. Blood transfusion with infected or (HIV unscreened) blood. Very rare but high chances of carrying if done.
  5. Mother to fetus (baby) transmission.

Other highly unusual and very very rare causes are by spilling of blood drops into the eyes, here the virus can easily penetrate the mucous membrane, although it depends on the viral load.

Transmission of the disease by ingestion of infected blood is unlikely, though it is possible if there were cuts or breeches in the mucous membrane of the mouth.

It is preferred that you get a screening test done. If still in doubt you can take the prophylactic treatment after consulting your physican.

Hope this is of some help.