Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Raised edge forming V-shape inside vagina. Normal?

Resolved Question:

I was doing a self exam and noticed that under my vaginal opening (between the skin with hair and skin without) there was a raised ridge on either side forming sort of a V-shape. However, one side (the left side as seen in the attached picture) was raised quite a bit more and kind of had a "jagged" edge to it that I could feel with my fingers (move back and forth like a flap). The colouring is the same as the rest of my skin. The jagged ridge does not hurt, itch, etc (and I've poked at it a lot). It is not round or oval shaped. It is like a broken/jagged line of extra tissue. From my research, I don't think it could be Hymenal tissue as it is too far down from the actual vaginal opening. I have been sexually active with the same man for the last 5 years. A few weeks ago I had sexual intercourse and there was too much "friction." I suffered a friction burn that healed quickly.
Any idea what this is? It is symptomless but bothers me because I can feel it with my fingers. I understand it may just be my natural anatomy, but is it common? And why is one side different?

Category: OBGYN

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Infertility Specialist
 26 Doctors Online

Thanks for posting your query at

The area that you are mentioning is the ' fourchette '.
Since you are so interested and knowledgeable about the female anatomy, I have mentioned the name so that you can read more about it.
Also, the picture is entirely normal.
This is normal anatomy.
One side is not enlarged or rougher than the other, but I agree that it might be feeling that way to you when you touch.
As you said, there was slight friction some time back during intercourse.
The fourchette is the area that has maximum friction and rubbing during intercourse, as the penis slips in and out.
So that area might have been rubbed against more than usual, and hence you feel that it is rougher and slightly more enlarged compared to the other side.
But otherwise, this is just normal anatomy.
You might try applying some lubricant / Petroleum jelly on that part during intercourse, to minimize friction.
The picture is absolutely normal, do not worry.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.

Patient replied :

Thanks for your informative reply. It really helped! So it's common to have "un-smooth"/irregular bits of tissue on the fourchette? And will it always be there? I assume if I decided to have a child, I would see all kinds of new changes. But is there any other way it would eventually "smooth out" again?

Firstly, thank you for the appreciation.
Generally, these changes are here to stay.
As you can see, they are not major ones.
Just minor, subtle changes that occur with ageing, intercourse, childbirth.
If , for example, you refrain from sex for very long, you might feel that the irregularity has healed, to a certain extent.
But the changes in themselves are not major / radical, for them to regress or come back to ' normal '.
These trivial alterations in the anatomy and surface skin are part of the spectrum of ' normal ' .
Take care !

Dr. Aarti Vazirani
Category: Infertility Specialist
Residency: Obstetrics & Gynecolog, BJMC,Civil hospital, Ahmedabad, 2008
Post Graduate: MS (Obstetrics & Gynecology), B.J. Medical College, Ahmedabad, 2008
Medical School: MBBS, B.J. Medical College, Ahmedabad, 2004
Dr. Aarti Vazirani and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news