Risk of HIV after protected vaginal sex with stranger

Dear Doctor
I had vaginal sex with a stranger last year. I had condom on properly.
how far ir is possible to have HIV infection for me.

regards
Raj

Thank you for using ask a doctor service from DoctorSpring. I can understand your anxiety. The correct use of condoms can be very effective in prevention of HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases. However it depends on the type of condom used. Condoms are available in different sizes and shapes with or without lubricant. There are three types of condoms available in the market such as:

a) Rubber (latex) condom: About 97% of total condoms are made of rubber (latex). These condoms consist of a double-layered protection against pregnancy and sexually transmitted disease like HIV. These are less expensive than the others, however if the individual is allergic to the latex then this type cannot be used.

b) Natural condoms: these are made of lambskin. But these condoms have small pores that can transmit infections like HIV, Herpes simplex, and Hepatitis B. So this is not effective for prevention for HIV infection.

c) Synthetic condoms: These are made of polyurethane and other synthetic material. Although the efficacy is similar to rubber (latex) infection and provides adequate protection too.

HIV is a life threatening infection that is transmitted through vaginal or urethral secretions . In regard to your question, Condoms act as a barrier method in preventing the spread of HIV infection. However only if there is a defect in condom or a tear in it can the infection get transmitted.

So there is no reason to be worried. It is unlikely that you may have got the disease . You can confirm this by getting a screening test for your partner and you to rule out the disease. Hope this helps.