Risk of smoke inhalation with mild throat irritation.

I'm 71 and dance in traditional American Indian ceremonies 4 times a year in a roundhouse with a hot fire and smoke. The dancing can be very vigorous. I am northern European in ancestry but was invited into the Native tradition 22 years old patientago.

I am concerned about smoke inhalation. I asked my doctor but he only said "I'd tell you to stop but I know you won't, so there's nothing I can tell you." I'm physically active (hiking, mountain biking, trail running), have mostly excellent health, and have no symptoms after a ceremony except a very mild throat irritation.

Are there things I can do before or after a ceremony to mitigate potential health problems from smoke exposure 4 times a year? How seriously am I affecting my long term health? My family typically lives to about 90-ish. My goal is 110 (probably not realistic, but a goal!).

Medical conditions:
- Mild macular degeneration in one eye
- Taking 6mg Terazosin daily for prostate issues
- Using Flonase for mild allergies
- Peripheral neuropathy in my feet
- Arteriosclerosis (have been taking 10mg Simvastatin daily but have temporarily stopped to test mental focus issues)

Blood pressure: typically 122/78, pulse 58
Total Cholesterol: 110
Triglycerides: 94
HDL: 43
LDL: 48
Glucose Fasting: 92
PSA: 1.9

About the Arteriosclerosis: A cat scan in 2011 showed a calcification score of 2271. The cardiologist insisted it was correct, but I'm not convinced. I've always exercised, generally eaten properly, and have little heart disease in my family. I was wearing an all metal denture during the test. Other facilities ask patients to remove metal before the test. This one didn't. The cardiologist however insisted that the metal denture wouldn't affect the result. A subsequent stress echocardiogram in 2011 showed everything working perfectly, but apparently it means nothing.

Category: Cardiologist

Expert:  Dr. E. Satish Kumar replied 4 Days.

I have gone through case file , it was very interesting. You have been leading a very active life and following your passion. Yes definitely , dancing in conditions having heavy smoke is definitely not good for health in long term. But going through investigations your health looks perfectly in good condition.

I would suggest you to PFT ( pulmonary function test ) to see the present condition of the lung and whether it had been effected by heavy smoke.

At this age of 71 , I would suggest look in to the future , what you want ? Follow your passion or look to achieve you goal of living up to 110 yrs .
As a cardiologist I would suggest , if you want to live a healthy life try to avoid dancing in heavy smoke.
Echocardiogram and Tread mill is suggested to assess the condition of the Heart .

Dr Satish

Dr. E. Satish Kumar
Fellowship, Cardiology - Tamil Nadu Doctor M.G.R. Medical University - DNB, Cardiology, 2002 – 2005Training in Germany in Complicated AngioplastiesMedical School - Maharaja Krushna Chandra Gajapati Medical college, MBBBS MD, Int Medicine, 1989 – 1999.
Trained in Rota Abalation for treating Calcific coronary artery disease in Japan