Secondary cellulitis of the leg.

Two days ago I cut my foot on some coral in the sea in the Philippines. It's only a tiny cut and didn't bleed much but since then my foot has swelled and has now reached my ankle. It's turning a dark colour and is hot and itchy to touch. I went to the doctor here in the Philippines who perscribed cloxacillin one tablet 4 times a day. I just wondered if this was the correct diagnosis and when I should bed more worried.

It seems you have a secondary cellulitis (infection of the soft tissue) of the leg. The most possible cause is gram positive bacteria, for which Cloxacillin is very good choice. So the diagnosis and treatment appears to be right. However you need to be keep a watch on the swelling and symptoms. Since you had an underwater injury, other bacterial infections are also possible. So if the symptoms are not resolving in couple of days /or if there is worsening symptoms you will need an alternative, injectable antibiotic in addition.

You can also take an NSAID (pain meds) and anti allergic medicaiton in consult with your Doctor. Keep the foot end elevated in night with a pillow.

Please feel free to ask follouwp questions.