White lump at back of tongue. Is this normal?

Hi. I have a white lump at the very back of my toungue top of my throat ... I noticed as I've been finding it hard to swallow mucas and have a build up in my throat! Is this lump a normal part of the tongue?

Category: ENT Specialist

Expert:  Dr. Sunil Jalan replied 4 Days.

Thank you for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com
your picture is normal, i have reviewed both the images.
I can't see anything abnormal.
Difficulty in swallowing may be due to mild throat infection, you can do warm saline or betadine gargle, if it is not improving you can consult local ENT specialist. As of now, there is no concern at all.

Best Regards

So, just out of interest (because I haven't noticed it before) what is the white bit at the back of my tongue? It looks like a mini second tongue!

Expert:  Dr. Sunil Jalan replied 3 Days.

This is epiglottis, a normal structure.

Dr. Sunil Jalan
DAA (Diploma in asthma and allergy) : Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2012
D.N.B (ENT), 2011
Residency - M.S. (Master post graduate degree in otorhinolaryngology),  Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2009
D.L.O. (Diploma in otorhinolaryngology) - Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2007
Medical School - M.B.B.S, S.P. Medical college, Bikaner, 2004