Self diagnosed HSV2 and time required for recovery

My name is Mike, I am a healthy 28yr old Male non-smoker and no past medical issues.
I have recently self-diagnosed myself with HSV 2. I am 95% positive that this is it. I have had blood work drawn today to confirm over the next two days.
My symptoms started 6 days ago and have thus followed the expected track of the symptoms.
The other odd symptom that I am not sure is part of the virus or not is the severely painful tip urinating and swollen red tip of my penis. The best way to explain the symptoms would be what is explained by most as a UTI. I have been taking Ciprofloxacin for 3 days now and the symptoms seem to dull and come back randomly. My questions are this:
How long should I expect this outbreak to last (on average)?
What steps can I take to help prevent an outbreak?
Is the severely painful tip of my penis correlated with HSV?

Expert:  Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia replied 4 Days.

Thanks for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com. I can understand your concern.

Based on the history you have provided, I will answer your queries regarding hsv.

The outbreak usually lasts for around a week.

It is usually seen that outbreaks occur in periods of stress, it may be physical or emotional, illnesses, lowering of immunity either local or systemic, intake of certain medications etc.

The symptoms of uti and swollen and painful penis tip could be related to the outbreak itself. You can take paracetamol to relieve the pain and swelling.

However, to confirm whether you have hsv , I would need to see the lesions, I would request you to post a picture here.

Please see attached photos of lesions to confirm. These lesions in uploaded file are 7 days old.As of yesterday [day 6] clusters of smaller fluid filled blisters arose near the original lesions (see photo_1 close up). To be thorough with my symptoms, my lymph nodes on either side of my groin are lumpy and sore to pressure. As of yesterday morning [day 6] my lower back and thighs became achy, best described as 'flu like muscle ache' with a sensitivity to touch. Later in the day my testicles became sore and aching as well. All a 5 on the 1 to 10 pain scale.Questions:Is this confirmed as HSV2? Given the time frame of 7 days and the new fluid filled blisters arising be concerning?Advice?Are the aching symptoms normal or is this concerning?Would taking an Antiviral medication during this outbreak negatively affect the antibodies being made to combat future outbreaks or would it help? What time frame would be expected at this point for new and old lesions to go away?What is the best method for healing at this point?Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to your prompt response.

Expert:  Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia replied 3 Days.

Thank you very much for your response and the photos provided.

From the Image that you have sent it looks like Herpes Genital Infection .
Yes , the fact that new lesions are arising it is definitely spreading in inflammation and needs intervention of treatment.

You would need to take anti viral medications and it would help you and will not interfere with the immune system in any way. It can take around 2 weeks to heal completely once you start the medication.

Hope this helps, please feel free to discuss further with follow-up questions.

Thanks and Take care

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
Enhanced training in Botox and fillers ,Coherrent India,2008,2011,2013,New Delhi
Fellowship in Cosmetic Dermatology,Marico India ,2007,Mumbai
Graduate School, Residency: M.D.- S M S Medical College, Jaipur
Medical School:  M.B.B.S. , S P Medical College, Bikaner, 2002