Side effects of RIVOTRIL for sleeping disorder.

I am having sleeping disorder for many years... but sometime I take sleeping pills ... when I take medicine (RIVOTRIL 0.5 ) , I gets sleep for 4-5 hours.. but I donot take it regularly.. because many doctors advsd not to take sleeping pills at this age ( 48).

Pls adv will I get any side effect if I continue the sleeping pill rivtoril 0.5 ( 3/4 only I take).
by taking this medicine, my sleeping problem is solved once for all .
or this should be continue for life long..

Category: Neurologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Sudhir Kumar replied 4 Days.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
Sleeping disorder is a fairly common problem and rivotril does help in giving you good sleep. However it carries a risk of addiction and over a period of time you may go on increasing the doses. Firstly it would be appropriate to follow all the steps of a good sleep hygiene:
1) Have some aerobic workouts during day preferably in the morning.
2) Have a light dinner.
3) Completely avoid coffee/tea/alcohol/energy drinks/coke/smoking.
4) Have a warm water bath before going to sleep.
5) Dont try very hard to go to sleep. If you are not sleepy then sit on a couch or sofa and do some reading and go to the bed only when you are sleepy.
6) Avoid watching tv or working on laptop/computer or bright screens at night.
7) Keep the lighting of your bedroom dim and make your bed every morning after you wake up so that you get a cozy bed to sleep at night.
8) Use your bedroom only for sleeping and resting and do not do any other work there.
9) Avoid afternoon nap for any reason.
If still you dont get sleep, then you may consider the options of zolpidem or eszopiclone which are relatively safer than rivotril. However if you take rivotril ones in 5-7 days and make sure that you don't increase the dose or frequency, then you may continue doing it.
Hope this helps,
In case if you have any further query, do let me know.
Kind regards

Dr. Sudhir Kumar
Senior Residency, Fellowship: DM, Neurology, CMC, Vellore, 2001
Junior Residency: MD, Internal Medicine, CMC, Vellore, 1998
Medical School: MBBS, Christian Medical College, Vellore, 1995