Sinusitis and migraine

Hi there, I've been having a headache almost every day for nearly a month and a half. I think it's mostly related to the weather changing; it's been rotating between hot/cold and wet/dry since the around the end of November. It feels a lot like sinus pressure (right between the eyes, across the bridge of the nose, sometimes jaw, and occasionally over my left eyebrow). I've had very little drainage to accompany the pressure but will occasionally wake up with a stuffy nose. I've been a little dizzy at times but it feels like my head is stopped up more than anything. Last night my ears felt like they needed to pop for several hours and the pressure was making my jaws (both upper and lower) ache. I've been to a doctor recently and he recommended taking sudafed and other decongestants to help relieve the pressure. The headache is not constant but it comes back nearly every day. I'm just not sure what I should do about this.

Category: Neurologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Sudhir Kumar replied 4 Days.

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms. I agree that some of your symptoms are related to the sinus, and you are on good treatment for that.

However, for the headaches to continue recurring for one and a half months, so frequently, we need to consider an alternate diagnosis of migraine. So, I would also suggest starting anti-migraine treatment. The options include topiramate, beta blockers or divalproex. These medications would reduce the frequency and severity of headaches. In addition, for pain relief, you could also take rizatriptan or sumatriptan tablets.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,

Dr. Sudhir Kumar MD (Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist

Dr. Sudhir Kumar
Senior Residency, Fellowship: DM, Neurology, CMC, Vellore, 2001
Junior Residency: MD, Internal Medicine, CMC, Vellore, 1998
Medical School: MBBS, Christian Medical College, Vellore, 1995