Social anxiety disorder

Hi there! I just want to know if i have a social anxiety disorder.
i've been scared to talk to people since i was 10 and now i am already 21 and i still feel the same fear every time. i don't even want to work in a place where there are lots of employee.i always avoid social gatherings and prefer staying at home. i don't even want people coming to our house except for my family.if there are upcoming events, it's either an interview,orientation, or party, i keep on thinking about it and just want to make an excuse all the time so i won't have to attend any of them. I hope you could help me with this. thank you!

Category: Psychiatrist

Expert:  Dr. Srikanth Reddy replied 4 Days.

Thanks for using doctor spring for posting your query.
I have gone through your discription in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
The symptoms that you have stated do fit into social anxiety disorder and this disorder does start early as in your case.
Social anxiety can be taken care of by two ways
1. Medical
2. Non medical

In medical ways the good options are paroxetine and escitalopram. These drugs have a good effect on social anxiety. The other benign option is to give propranolol just before the anxiety provoking event.

The other options are cognitive behavioural therapy. This therapy doesnot involve any drugs. Instead it involves sessions with the therapist which focuses on your thought process and contents.

Both these threament protocols are effective.
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy

do i need a prescription to buy the medicine that you mentioned?

Expert:  Dr. Srikanth Reddy replied 3 Days.

Yes , Propranolol is a commonly used Beta blocker used for hypertension, anxiety and other diseases. It will need prescription, and your GP can help you with this.

thank you for your answer, it really helps. I will go and see a doctor one of these days to be really sure about this matter.thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Srikanth Reddy replied 2 Days.

Happy to help. Best wishes.

Happy to help. Best wishes from DoctorSpring.com team.

Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Doctor of Medicine (MD), Psychiatry Residency Program,2001 – 2012
M.B.B.S,Mahatma Gandhi Institute Of Medical Sciences, Sevagram

Certificate Course in sex Therapy and Counselling, Sexology and Counselling, A
Sexology,Medikon Sexual Sciences, Mumbai

Training in Advanced Neurology at a leading corporate hospital (CARE hospital) in Hyderabad

Child Psychiatry Training in National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences, Bangalore

Sex Therapy and Counsellingat MEDIKON Sexual Sciences, Mumbai.