Sorethroat, sneezing, coughing with redness in throat.

My daughter had a sore throat starting yesterday with headache no fever. She has sneezing and coughing today. Didn't seem to look like strep since it was red and small bead like pockets in the back of her throat. Today I started with a sore throat as well. Pics are attached of both. Was not sure if strep or not because of other symptoms.

Category: Pediatrician

Expert:  Dr. Saptharishi L G replied 4 Days.

Will you kindly mention the age of your daughter? Based on that the medicines can be advised.
Once you do, I will get back to you immediately.

She is 13 weighs about 120

Expert:  Dr. Saptharishi L G replied 3 Days.

Dear Parent,
I can understand your concerns. Presence of a sore throat with headache, sneezing and coughing without fever most likely points to a viral etiology. The fact that you have caught it from her again favors the same (Respiratory viral infections spread faster). On the face of it, it looks like viral. You are right that the symptomatology is not classical of a strep sore throat.
However, the photo attached suggests otherwise. The second pic shows a definitive swelling (tonsillar enlargement suggestive of acute tonsillitis) almost pushing the uvula. Whose pic is it? Yours or your daughter's? The first image is not clear and shows only a small lateral aspect of the buccal mucosa, not showing the throat or pharynx.
It would be good if you can elaborate more on your clinical manifestations (yours as well as your daughter's) and also attach better clinical photographs of the throat using a small spatula as a tongue depressor.
Dr. Saptharishi L G

The second photo was mine. I have no other symptoms but the sore throat. My daughter has headache achenes no fever sneezing and coughing and now some upset stomach this morning

Expert:  Dr. Saptharishi L G replied 2 Days.

Dear parent,
Thank you for the clarification. Your throat has significant enlargement of tonsils or posterior pharyngeal wall. This is unusual for an adult. Though this particular episode of sore throat appears to be viral and requires symptomatic therapy only, I would strongly urge you to book an appointment with an ENT specialist and get your throat examined.
Both of you will find symptomatic relief with the following measures:
1. Gargling three times a day with warm saline water
2. Drinking plenty of warm fluids
3. Paracetamol for headache and fever thrice daily
4. Lozenges for soothing throat.
5. Avoiding cold fluids, which cause drying of mucosa.

Dr. Saptharishi L G
Senior Residency: DM,  Pediatric Critical Care, PGIMER

Residency: MD, Pediatrics, Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, 2013

Internship: JIPMER, 2009

Medical School: MBBS, Jawaharlal Institute of Post-graduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER), Puducherry, 2008