Spasms in neck and back without pain, difficulty breathing.

For the past month or so I've been having weird "spasms in my chest/upper back. They don't hurt but seem to take my breath away. Recently I've been noticing that the right side of my chest has been feeling very heavy and tight. It seems to affect my shoulder blade on my right side away. It feels almost like there is a "knot" in my shoulder blade. For the past week or so I've been having difficulty breathing as well. Its not that I can't breathe but it just feels very heavy, like I'm trying harder to draw a breath. It seems to be worse at night when I'm trying to sleep or when I first wake up. I went to the E.R when it all started and was told I was just "sick" and was given medicine for Bronchitis but they didn't seem to work and I'm hesitant to go back because of expenses and for fear of being seen as a "hypochondriac" but I cant help but worry. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

Category: Pulmonologist

Expert:  Dr. Jacob George Pulinilkunnathil replied 4 Days.

Dear Adam,
Regards from our team. May I know your age, occupation, smoking history, past medical history, your fitness level too?
Your complaints don't suggest any specific pattern of disease. Seems more likely to be musculoskeletal pain.
However I would be happy if I could rule out any small things by a chest x ray .
Suggest you test your vitamin d level also.. I would strongly recommend a PPI ( for acidity) and vitamin e tab for a period of 7 - 14 days.

Dr. Jacob George P
MD, IDCCM, FCCP

Thank you very much for the reply. I am 28 years old and I am a Machinist. As for medical history I was found to have high blood pressure and GERD. Both conditions are being treated with Medication that I have been taking for a long time. Lisinipril 40mg and Bystolic 5mg for the blood pressure and Omeprazole for my GERD. I had a Endoscopy done about 6 months ago and was found to have a hiatal Hernea (mild) but they gave me a ct scan of my abdomen and found no trace of a hernia. The reason for the CT Scam was because Ive been feeling pressure in my sternum. Right where the ribs meet. I am an ex smoker, I quit in July. My fitness level is pretty none existent.

Expert:  Dr. Jacob George Pulinilkunnathil replied 3 Days.

As I previously suggested, consider a prokinetic agent like levosulpride also in addition to omeprazole. Gerd can cause vague symptoms like this. Kindly get back to me after using the medicines for 7 days.

Dr. Jacob George Pulinilkunnathil
Residency, Post Graduation: MD, Respiratory Medicine, J L N Medical College, Ajmer, Rajasthan (2012).
Medical School, Internship: MBBS, Government Medical College, Kottayam, 2001-07 
Indian Diploma in Critical Care Medicine (IDCCM) - Medical Trust Hospital, 2013-2014.