Stopped taking birth pills after a missed pill.

I missed my pill twice 2 weeks before my period and I got my period a week before it was due I have now had it for 8 days and as this is the week I should have my period I stopped taking my pill does this mean I will have my period for another 5 to 7 days? And stopping my pill was that the right thing to do?

Hello, Thank you for asking your query at DoctorSpring.

No, stopping your pill was definitely not the right thing to do. Birth control pills you are taking are hormones, which prevent the normal ovulation from occurring and therefore postpone your period. By not completing your course, firstly you would be susceptible to unwanted pregnancy and secondly, there are chances your cycles go irregular. Therefore, you cannot really predict if your cycle will continue like before or will change. There is nothing to worry though. I suggest you have a look at the rules you have got to follow when you are on birth control pills and strictly follow them next time you take them

1. You should try taking the pills the same time everyday so that you don't forget taking the pills. You can even associate it with sme daily work you are doing, like when reading newspaper.
  2. In case you have missed a pill, like in your case now, do not stop taking the pills. Have the missed pill and continue your pills till you finish it, even if that means taking two pills on the same day.
  3. If you've missed two or more pills or if you have started a new pack late, there are likely chances you can get pregnant. I suggest you use extra contracetion method, like condom for next 7 days. Do not stop taking pills. Have the last missed pill if it means taking two pills on the same day. Pills you missed before that, leave it.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask follow-up questions.