Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Suffering from numbness and headache

Resolved Question:

Doctor, I have been suffering from numbness for a few days, all over my face, right arm through right leg. Also I have got headache in my right-top part of head. What could be the possible reason for these? Can you please suggest me some medication to get over these?

Category: Sexologist

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
 21 Doctors Online

Thank you for using Ask a Doctor Services from Doctor Spring.

The symptoms which you are having sound more like migraine. Migraines are a common type of headache that can cause severe pain, aura or flashes in vision, and tingling sensation. These sensations of numbness, sometimes called sensory aura, can occur before, during or after the migraine headache begins. Most often the sensations occur on the same side of the body as the pain in the head.

The precise cause of migraine is unclear however a drop in the levels of the brain chemical serotonin is believed to be responsible for the dilatation (widening) of the blood vessels that causes the throbbing headache.

People who suffer from migraine usually identify the triggers which cause migraine and avoid them. So it is important for you to identify the trigger causing headache. Some of the commonest triggers are:

  1. Allergies and allergic reactions
  2. Bright lights, loud noises, and certain odors or perfumes
  3. Physical or emotional stress
  4. Changes in sleep patterns or irregular sleep
  5. Smoking or exposure to smoke
  6. Skipping meals or fasting
  7. Alcohol
  8. Menstrual cycle fluctuations, birth control pills (in females)
  9. Tension headaches
  10. Foods such as red wine, aged cheese, smoked fish, chicken livers, figs, and some bean. Other foods such as chocolate, nuts, peanut butter, avocado, banana, citrus, onions, dairy products, and fermented or pickled foods.

Try to identify your trigger for headache and avoid them as much possible.

However, there are other conditions which could have also caused these symptoms like severe cold exposure, peripheral neuropathy, transient ischemic attack, stroke to name few. Hence it is important to evaluate your symptoms with a GP or more specifically if possible with a Neurologist. The doctor will perform a thorough neurological examination and ask you to perform few tests like EEG, CT/MRI of brain and certain blood tests also. These will help in diagnosing the problem accurately so that specific and appropriate treatment can be given to you. Having developed numbness in face and arm needs immediate attention so I would suggest you to take appointment from GP as early possible.

Pain killers like paracetamol 500-1000 mg (max) at the time of attack can be taken for the time being until you get the appointment from your GP. This should not be taken on long term or in higher dose since it can cause various side effects. Follow the medicine which will be prescribed by your GP once he diagnoses the condition. Feel free to ask if you need any further help.

Hope this information was useful to you

Thank you.

Dr. John Monheit
Category: Family Physician-GP
Residecny: North Colorado Family Medicine
Medical School: The Chicago Medical Center
Dr. John Monheit and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news