suffering from repeated sneezing

Hello . I am a worker at a cotton factory. I have been working there from the past 3 years. From the day of joining , I am suffering from repeated sneezing . I have these almost about 10 sneezes at a time. I am unable to do my work with this. Also there is always a running nose like small children. I visited a RMP here for this problem. I was given a drug which contains prednisolone. I was using the drug from the past 1 month. On using it my body became fat. I became lazy. My legs are paining .I got a doubt and On searching the web I have found out that it is a corticosteroid. Are these symptoms because of that drug? Should I continue it? I am worried to go again to that RMP. Even some of my colleagues experienced similar issues with him. Kindly reply.

Hi. Thanks for posting your query here.

First of all, I want to tell that you probably are suffering from allergy to the cotton particles that are being produced in your factory. The particle size could be so small that with a naked eye it will be difficult to notice . These particles when inhaled, settle in the respiratory tract, irritating the lining epithelium producing the symptoms that you have described.

The best way to treat this condition is by avoiding exposure to the allergen (cotton particles in your case). You can also try wearing a mask that covers your nose. But it should filter even small particles. Drugs like antihistamines would benefit in your case.

The drug prednisolone is a corticosteroid. It is used to suppress symptoms that arise because of severe inflammation. Even though it relives the symptoms, it doesn't treat the cause. So it is usually spared for severe cases. The abnormal weight gain and other symptoms that you acquired are most probably because of this drug. I recommend you to tapper the drug over a period of time but not stopping it suddenly. Consult a physician for further management.