Swimming in a lake and infection with Naegleria

Hello- I am a 34 year old female and I went swimming in a lake in upstate New York yesterday and got some water up my nose. I have anxiety issues to begin with, but now I am freaking out I was infected with N.fowleri. I don't have any symptoms other than my nose is running. Should I be concerned? Thank you so much for your time. Sincerely, Marcy Herrick

No, you need not be concerned. There is NOT even 1 cases of Naegleria Fowleri reported from NewYork state (out of the 128 cases so far in the United States, 0 in NY). http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/graphs.html The incidence of N.fowleri is so less in the general population, intact it is not even possible the measure the incidence. You are just being over anxious. Getting water up the nose happens in most swimmers who are in water for more than 15 minutes, even without their awareness. So that is also not an issue. You are probably bit over anxious. There is no need for any concern.

Please feel free to ask followup questions.