SYMMETRICAL SWELLING above knee after a run.

About a year ago I went for a run (about 3 miles) on a hot summer day and pushed myself after not running for a couple months. Immediately after it I noticed what looked like swelling right above my knee and a little down the inside of each knee coming from my quad muscle possibly. It was symmetrical "swelling" so I thought I had just overdone it and it would subside. Fast forward to today and it has not subsided and is the "norm" now. I recognize that it is actually not fluid and is my quad muscle itself. I feel like I am more sore now when doing any physical activities heavily involving my knees (I play soccer and lift weights). My primary care doctor told me it's probably just the way I'm built which I don't think it's true if this happened after a hard run and has stayed the same for about a year. I feel like long term damage could be done if I continue exercising with my quad muscle like it currently is.

Short version: My quad muscle is hanging lower than it should be down the inside of my knee. Happened after a hard run of 3 miles about a year ago, still the same today. See attached picture for a better idea.

Thank you very much,

Jake C.

Category: Orthopedic Surgeon

Expert:  Dr. Mukesh Tiwari replied 4 Days.

Thank you for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com
Looking at your pictures it also does not looks Normal to me.Please answer following questions so that I can help you-
1.Is there any weakness to lower limbs?
2.Is there any deformity at knee or leg,It looks that you may have knock knee?
3.Is there any locking sensation at knee?
4.Is there any giving away feeling at knee?
Please reply.

Hello Dr. Mukesh Tiwari,
1. No weakness in lower limbs. I weight train including squats with no problem. After each without that lower part of each quad muscle is a little more "swollen" than usual. 2. No deformities. I've been playing soccer with no problems since this happened other than more soreness than usual. 3. No locking sensation. 4. I don't notice any giving away feeling.
It's very strange to me. I can do everything I was doing before this happened. I feel like the direct result is more soreness after physical activity in that area and of course does not look normal. It's almost as if the quad muscle has slid down a couple inches where it connects below the knee.
Please let me know if you need more information.
Thank you, Jake

Expert:  Dr. Mukesh Tiwari replied 3 Days.

Thanks for information.
Looking at your information.It does not looks to be a muscle tear.It looks to be synovitis of knee .In this there is swelling of covering at knee.You may have USG investigation for this.If it is confirmed then intra articular injection of steroid will be very helpful.
Hope this all will help you.

Dr. Mukesh Tiwari
Fellowship - Khandaka Hospital, Jaipur
Residency - MS, Rabindranath Tagore Medical College, Udaipur, 2000
Medical School, Internship - MBBS, SMS Medical College, Jaipur, 1995