Thanks for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com
Let me explain the process of medical abortion to you.
First and foremost, medical abortion should NOT be attempted without medical supervision.
1. Even if the home pregnancy test is positive, the pregnancy needs to be confirmed by a gynecologist and exact dating needs to be done, since these pills work only up to specific gestational age, and not beyond that.
2. You need to rule out possibility of ectopic pregnancy (pregnancy outside the uterus) which will also be done by a specialist, as taking medical pills in that scenario is disastrous and life threatening.
3. Medical abortion has also got chances of severe life threatening bleeding at times, for which you need to be under medical care.
4. It has a 5 % failure rate, following which you require surgical termination, which might be needed in an emergency also.
5. Unsupervised medical abortion might cause severe infection, retained products which maybe undetected. Hence it is important to have a follow up visit with your gynecologist two weeks AFTER taking the pills, at which it would be confirmed that the pregnancy was successfully and completely terminated.
That said and done, I would give you a few guidelines about medical termination: Each pack contains 5 tablets -
1 tablet of Mifepristone…200 mg
4 tablets of Misoprostol, each containing Misoprostol…200 mcg
Mifepristone is taken orally and 1–3 days later by 800 mg of misoprostol is administered vaginally either by the clinician or self-administered.
For women at 49–63 days of gestation, if abortion has not occurred 4 hours after administration of misoprostol, a second dose of misoprostol 400 mcg may be administered vaginally or orally (depending upon preference and amount of bleeding).
The patient should return for a follow-up visit approximately 14 days after the administration of mifepristone. This visit is very important to confirm by clinical examination or ultrasonographic scan that a complete termination of pregnancy has occurred.
Patients who have an ongoing pregnancy at this visit have a risk of foetal malformation resulting from the treatment. Surgical termination is recommended to manage medical abortion treatment failures
Also, the dose might vary depending on body weight or other risk factors present in the patient, so as stressed by me earlier, please go for this procedure ONLY AFTER consultation, and examination by a specialist; else you place the person undergoing this at great risk
I hope this information encourages you to consult your doctor. I will be available for further guidance.
At 9 weeks, pills might really not work well, especially if the pregnancy has crossed 9 weeks.
It is imperative for you to consult a doctor somehow, otherwise you are placing her life at risk.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.
Patient replied :
Hi doctor, the abortion has gone well and like I stated before any medical supervision at the time would not only get her life is risk but will put both of our lives in jail and end it basically because this is illegel in the country I'm living in. The first day she bleed a lot and vomited and had back pain but she pulled through it thank god. The second day she was much better and a white and blue piece of meat came up which I think this the baby. She started to eat and drink lots of water I got her tylenol and got her fish and fresh meat for get lots of protiens and calcium and full fat milk to get her strength back and as for the bleeding it comes and goes. I got her pills that would prevent any type of infections to her and she is taking one every other day. I will try my best to get a doctor to see her after 2 weeks as stated. But as I'm speaking to you she is getting back to normal and has let's say 70% of her strength back all thanks to God and I'm hope this such thing doesn't happen ever to her .
It is very unfortunate that she could not access good medical care.
Also am very happy to know that she is better now.
Yes, please start iron and calcium supplements for her.
Also please make sure she has a consultation with a gynecologist and an ultrasound scan after 2 weeks, to confirm that everything is complete.
Also please use reliable contraception in future to avoid unintended pregnancy.
Take care, and God Bless.