Treatment for genital warts and HPV

Dear doctor, I am diagnosed to have infected with HPV as I started getting genital warts. How can I get is cured. This is a frightening situation and I am almost lost myself. Can I use medications such as Wartrol, Pedifix wart stick, dermisil etc? They claim to work well against genital warts. Can I rely on them? I would like to get an affordable means of treatment and not so costly ones. I cant afford medications such as Aldara. Please help me at the earliest.

Expert:  Dr. Steve Merris replied 4 Days.

The creams and medicines you have mentioned will work in getting your warts removed, with varying effects and results. They will not completely remove HPV infection from your body but help in getting rid of the warts from skin. You may even get some bearable side effects as reddening of skin, bleeding from warts etc. It is better to consult your doctor for getting suggested with the best method that can be used. Cryotherapy, which uses liquid nitrogen to remove warts is a working solution but not for removal of HPV infection. You can also opt for laser treatment. Application of creams like Podophilox, imiquimod, Podophyllum resin also helps in removing warts. But remember they can reappear on the outbreak of next viral attack. Your body immune system can make the infections dormant once the treatments are done and your body immunity is raised. Avoiding smoking and drinking can help in getting improved immunity. 

Dr. Steve Merris
Medical School - New York University
Internship in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Residency in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine - Columbia University Medical Center