Bacterial Furuncle on the penis.

Hello Doctor,

About a week ago I suddenly woke up with a large red bump/bulge on my penis shaft. I'm still not sure what it is or where it came from. I suspect it is either an STD or an infection caused by a small cut by a razor in the area which happened about a month ago. May also be an ingrown hair, but not sure if that caused the large bulge. This bulge is soft, red in appearance, and has two whiteheads that bleed (used to ) and very painful. I constantly feel it stinging/burning, even makes walking a little difficult.

As for it being an STD, the last sexual contact I had was a month ago, and it was protected. Before that, well over a year.

I have tried to treat it by putting Betadine cream on it and covering it with soft materials. It seems to me that it has gotten a little smaller, but I may be mistaken. I went to the doctor and he prescribed me antibiotics, it is the fourth day today and it has not helped.

I would appreciate any help on what this may be or how I can treat it better.

note: if it is worth something, the night before i noticed the painful bulge, i had a basketball game. lots of sweating.

Thanks for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com. I can understand your concern.

It seems to be quite severe, it is a bacterial infection which might have started out as a furuncle but seems to have turned into an abscess. It could also be a std. Most of the stds are caused due to bacteria.

I would recommend a visit to your doctor as soon as possible. The abscess needs to be treated actively by your doctor. Also you can request your doctor to ask for investigations to rule out std.

Application of betadine cream will not suffice and the antibiotics you are taking might need to be given in a higher dose.

Thanks for the reply, it answered many of my concerns. I have just one more question.

The "boil" has gotten quite smaller over the past 18 hours. What will happen if I just leave it alone, will it drain itself?

It would be difficult to say whether it will drain itself and looking at the picture, my opinion was to visit your doctor, an abscess might lead to severe inflammation and swelling of the surrounding tissue too, hence it's important to get it treated immediately.

Thankyou