Treatment for Itchy red swollen thumb on morning.

Hi, I recently woke up and my thumb is swollen, itchy and red. I don't know if it's a bite but this is the second day in a week span this has happen. I would really appreciate the help. Thank you

Thank you for your query at DoctorSpring.com.

I understand your concern. Please could you upload high resolution pictures of the affected thumb ?
It could likely be an allergic reaction to an insect bite as it is transient, recurring and occurs in the night.
I would be able to help you better after having a look first. So kindly upload the pictures in the follow-up.
Any signs of bed bug or other insect infestations in your bedroom?

Awaiting your response,

The swelling has gone down a bit and I'm able to bend my thumb.

Thank you for the picture.

I am unable to appreciate the swelling from the picture. Anyway, it is most likely to be an allergic response to an insect bite.

I would suggest that you take Tab. Levocet 5 mg, once in the night for 5 days. This will prevent future episodes of such allergies. You can also apply Calamine lotion over the thumb to relieve the itching.
Also, it is important that the causative insect be eliminated from the surroundings to avoid such problems in the future.

I hope this was helpful. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Apparently I was biting again after cleaning the area..any suggestions on what to take?

The recent picture you sent is also suggestive of an allergic reaction to the insect bite. Mostly the problems with insect bites are that they tend to be itchy and look inflamed for a long time.
As i mentioned earlier, you should take Tab. Lvocet 5 mg once at night daily for 5 days, and also apply Calamine Lotion on the affected spot 2-3 times a day.

Thank you very much but unfortunately I am not able to find those in the local drug store. Would I be able to use cetirizine instead?

Expert:  Dr. Deepu Sebin Sebastian replied 1 Day.

Yes. You can use tablet Cetirizine 10 mg, once at bedtime for 5 days.
Make sure that the causative insects are exterminated too.