Treatment of Chancroid

Hello doctor, I am suffering from Chancroid. I took the prescription drug for 5 days but there is no benefit. The sores on the penis are still there. I have seen some Pictures of genital warts. Is Chancroid related to genital warts?

Expert:  Dr. Steve Merris replied 4 Days.

Thanks for the question. Chancroid is one of the many STIs which is very harmful and results in sores on and around the genitals. The reason behind Chancroid is hemphilus ducreyi. Azithromycin is the basic prescription drug which is given in case someone is affected by Chancroid. After the consumption of this drug you will notice decrease in the number of sore in 2 to 3 days. If then also there is not effect then it is advisable that you immediately consult your doctor and tell him about your problem. Now coming to your second question; Chancroid is not related to genital warts. However they bore some similarities like lot of them are sexually transmitted infections. However, Chancroid is caused due to a bacterium while genital warts are caused by some virus. As seen in the Pictures of genital warts, there are clusters of warts developed on the genital areas. While in the case of Chancroid, there are sores which develop on the genitals. They might look alike in the Pictures of genital warts but they are different. A person suffering from Chancroid might transfer it to an unaffected person during anal and vaginal sex. While on the other hand, a person suffering from genital warts might transfer it to an unaffected person by anal, oral, vaginal sex and also by close contact of the genitals of the two individuals. I would suggest you to wear condom in case you have sex with someone. Condom will provide the necessary protection. Hence, do consult your doctor regarding your drug. Take care of yourself.

Dr. Steve Merris
Medical School - New York University
Internship in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Residency in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine - Columbia University Medical Center