Treatment of repeated attacks of cold

Dear Doctor. I am a 48-year-old male living in a remote place. From the past one week I've been suffering from severe cold. I have taken a LEVOCET tablet for three days with no result. There is lot of nasal discharge. I have this discharge coming out of my nose everyday and every time. It is bothering me a lot when I am in my office doing my work. When I bend my head, my nose become stuffy and all the secretions from my nose pour down like a running waterfall. This happens every winter. But it is so severe this winter. I couldn't do my routine work because of this cold. Moreover I keep getting this sticky secretion apart from the watery secretion through my nose. This occurs every morning when I go to jogging. Is this bad? Or is this normal? Is there anything else that you can help me with to combat this repeated attacks of cold in me?

Hello. Thanks for writing to us.

Based on your symptoms that you have described, one can come to a conclusion that you're suffering from a seasonal allergy. Repeated attacks of cold in every winter is so common in almost every individual. The dripping of discharge through your nose is nothing but the secretions from your nose itself. It is a normal response of our body to combat infection through these secretions, eliminating the infection from our body.

Levocet contains the drug Levocetrizine, an anti histamine that reduces the symptoms of common cold. Introduces running nose, watery eyes, sneezes, etc. it is available in 5 mg and 10 mg doses. Usually it is taken once a day for three or more days or until the symptoms resolve. In your case it is taking longer than three days for the drug to reduce your symptoms of cold. The sticky discharge from the nose is an indication of mucus, which is a normal secretion in case of common cold. If the secretion is transparent, then there is nothing to worry. I recommend you to take steaming inhalations along with the antihistamine for a speedy recovery.